Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Plantars Wart ... A Definite Maybe

Well I got in to see my family doctor to discuss my sore hoofy. When I went in to the clinic, I asked for a mask. The receptionist said ... “Why are you coughing?”... I said, “No, I’m on chemo.” When the nurse took me in the room, she asked ... “Why the mask?” I said, “I’m on chemo. I’m concerned about H1N1.”

Anyways, I saw the doctor. She looked at my foot and said ... “You have a wart.” But to confirm, she’d have to take a scalpel and take off a layer to see underneath. I said, “I had chemo last week and my white blood cells are probably at zero right now.” After some discussion we decided not to touch that little devil right now.

I mentioned to her I’m arranging to see my dentist at the end of the month to have my teeth cleaned and checked. Between the dentist and the oncologist, we figured it best I go on oral antibiotics for a short time and delay chemo for one week during that cycle. We just can’t risk an infection. So I’m going to coordinate another visit with my family doctor so she can slice into my little wart friend. Maybe put a little liquid nitrogen on it.

So what do I do about my little friend if in fact it is a wart? The doctor recommended I try any of the over the counter wart products out there however I should first check with my oncologist as to the safest way for me to use these products.

Any treatments no matter how minor revolve around my white blood cycle counts and the risk of infection.

10 comments:

Sherry said...

Those little devils hurt for sure...I've had them. I wouldn't risk anything at all right now in treating it -- it will "wait". For now you might try a corn pad, you know the ones that Dr. Scholl (and others) make -- it has a little hole for the "owie" to sit in and is surrounded by the plush bandage part...it will ease some of the discomfort of the devilish fiend. And keep your feet well cleaned and disinfected. They do spread so you want to watch for that while you are awaiting treatment. ♥

Sherry said...

As for the dentist...I put off all my dental appointment until chemo was finished. I figured I was doing enough with that, never mind checking my teeth and having them cleaned. Even the idea of taking an oral antibiotic so I could...it just didn't seem worth it. I put things that could wait "on hold" until I was done and I knew my body was ready for something "new".

Sherry said...

Look at me with the comments today...geesh!! I know that you are on chemo indefinitely so that makes your situation different to those who are on a fixed amount like I was.

In your case, I'd want to know that my counts were "high" before I attempted anything...you are so wise to know that. And your dental work won't wait indefinitely so the antibiotic gives you that "extra" you need to be able to continue living your life with quality. I always feel we are so blessed that medical research has kept up in this area ...and opening doors like this, by talking about long term treatment vs. short term helps others who are walking the road with us.

Holly said...

Hi Daria - I got a plantar's wart during chemo too..hadn't had one of those little things since high school. Ouch - t hey hurt. I treated it with all the over the coutner stuff available (on advice from my MD) but nothing worked. It took nearly a year, but the darn thing finally disappeared.

As to the dentist - I deferred all dental work til after chemo on advice from the oncolgoist AND my dentist.....

Sandy said...

Daria - bummer, those little boogers do hurt, I have had one for years and when I read your post the other day that was the first thing I thought of but then thought no, the chemo would kill the virus. Guess not. Hang in there chemo rears its ugly head in so many different ways!

Sara Diana said...

Hi Daria,
the wart can wait and it wont do any harm. Check with your oncologist but a natural way to treat the wart is to file the top layer off skin off, add some tea tree oil then cover with a layer of nail polish. The tea tree kills the wart and the nail polish smothers and seals it xx

WhiteStone said...

That white blood count affects so many parts of our lives during chemo. I got so I could guestimate the wbc by the condition of my gums. Pink and healthy meant good wbc. Red around the teeth meant low wbc. Funny how you can learn the cycle.

The Liz Army said...

That is crazy you wrote about H1N1 on the 29th. I emailed my oncologist about it on the same day and asked if I should get the flu shot (she said I should definitely get one once it is available).

I am glad others emphasize with stressing over similar issues.

I'm sending white blood cells your way...

Mumblin' Dave said...

Hi Daria,
I've had 'precancerous' lesions on my nose and face since before I began chemo. In fact I was scheduled to have them removed a couple of weeks before my lymphoma was discovered. What's interesting, is, both spots opened and wouldn't heal while I was in the middle of my last chemo cycle. I've read that this is normal for folks on fludarabine. Now on day 21 or so, the nose thingy is finally going away- unfortunately probably not for good.

Could this have relevance for the wart condition? Having a weakened immune system would allow the wart to form more readily. Trying to treat the wart while on chemo? Maybe not easy!

Carol Urban said...

Hi Daria. I wanted you to know that my port surgery is tomorrow morning and I start chemo again next Tuesday. Same regimen as before; Folfox and Avastin. I'm guessing it will be six months on followed by PET scan to see where I'm at. My CEA was only 0.7 but the oncologist said there were numerous lymph nodes activated on the PET. Wish me luck.