Friday, July 31, 2009

Breast Cancer Information

This information was taken from the Breast Cancer Society of Canada website:

Breast cancer is the most common cancer among Canadian women and its cause is unknown.

In 2008,

...an estimated 22,400 Canadian women will be diagnosed with breast cancer and 5,300 will die from it.

...approximately 431 Canadian women will be diagnosed with breast cancer weekly and 102 will not survive it.

...1 in 9 women is expected to develop breast cancer during her lifetime (age 90) and one in 28 will die from it.

...it is expected that 170 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer and 50 will die from it.

...Breast cancer death rates have declined in all ages combined and in every age group since the mid 1990s.

Source: Canadian Cancer Society / National Cancer Institute of Canada; Canadian Cancer Statistics 2008, Toronto, Canada

3 comments:

Sherry said...

As always the stats are interesting...I always felt I would be the 1 in 9 and I was. Other than that I choose not to look at them or think about them...I remember saying to my doctors at diagnosis and treatment...I'm not a statistic, I'm me. They always smiled. And I meant it then and still mean it now. I'm glad the numbers are decreasing...I'll be happier when breast cancer is defeated completely. Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Anonymous said...

thanks for sharing the info Daria. the question is why is it so prevalent these days, is it because of the diet that we consume or something else

Denise said...

The number are decreasing! That is what we need to focus on! Prayer and nutrition and knowledge... We can win this fight....... Praying for you brave ladies all the time...... Praying for the Father God to give us a cure..