Thursday, September 30, 2010

So Thankful for Help Shopping for My New Outfit

I have been a bit anxious about getting a new outfit for the Metastatic Breast Cancer Awareness Day in Ottawa. I had already been shopping a couple of times, looking at clothes but just didn’t have the energy to try anything on. So at our Sears coffee group yesterday, I was thrilled when Irm and S offered to help me pick something out.

We went into Sears and while we were grabbing at outfits, a clerk named Maria came by and said, no those colors won’t work for you … you need these colors that will pick up the color of your eyes. How wonderful … someone who really knows what they are doing. She then picked out a couple more outfits and together we went into the change room. 

I said thank you so much, I need help because I am undergoing breast cancer treatment and I have low energy. I anxiously told her I need a special outfit for a special event. She said no trouble at all, calm down and I will help you every step of the way. We will do this slow and easy.

Right off the top, I told her I’m not exactly an easy customer. My tops can’t be too low in the front because I have a breast prosthesis and a catheter scar and I want to make sure they’re well covered. Tops also need sleeves long enough to cover my PICC and wide enough fit over my lymphedema. And most importantly, I just want the whole thing to be comfortable to wear. 

Maria was amazing. I lost track but she brought in 20 or 25 pieces of clothing over ~two hours. She helped me put on and take off each and every item. As time was ticking by, I tried to rush things a little. She said slow down, I’m here to help … it’s my job. I think she ended up missing her break. She really did go ‘above and beyond’ to fit me. 

I have to thank Irm and S for being so patient with what looks good on me. I can hardly believe how blessed I am to have all this help.

I came out with an amazing outfit and can’t wait to show it off.

6 comments:

l'optimiste said...

oh I love that - how kind people can be. It's made me feel like crying! [mad I know...]

so pleased you got something nice, you'll be the Belle of the Ball :) Don't forget to post a pic so we can see the lovely outfit too?
x

Anonymous said...

That's so nice that you got lots of great help finding the right outfit! I bet you are stunning!

Bernie said...

You are beautiful inside and out but I am still thrilled that you had such a lovely lady and friends help you.....it always amazes me when someone goes out of their way to help like she did. I hope you will post a picture for all of us to see.....I know you will do wonderful Daria, I know in my heart you are the best....:-)Hugs

Alli said...

Daria you will look spectacular!!
Can't wait till we see photos of you in Ottawa....

Have a wonderful time!!

Love Alli......xx

Nancy said...

Isn't it great when you get great customer service like that? Maria really made a difference. Be sure to take some pictures! Good luck with your speech, I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job.

Kim said...

I somehow missed this post...but so happy for you! Can't wait to see the pics!