Sunday, September 5, 2010

Conversations at the Clinic

Friday I was at the clinic having my weekly PICC line redressing. I’m glad to say I had my regular nurse. We’ve gotten to know each other quite well and I find it easy to talk to her. So when we started talking about my personal situation with stage four cancer, I felt quite comfortable sharing my thoughts and feelings. We talked about my choice to pursue clinical trials. We talked about whether I had a living will or not and we even talked a bit about end of life. For some reason I was more comfortable talking to her about these things than my new doctor.

Anyways, as we were chatting, I hear my name called and I looked up, sure enough, it was my friend Audrey from The Journey. She just finished seven hours of chemo. Ugg! Still, she had so much enthusiasm in her voice saying how nice it was to see me and how we have to have lunch together next week. You’re on Audrey …. I hope the chemo isn’t too tough on you this time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was AWESOME running into you after my 7 hour ordeal! And funnily enough, I also ran into you onc that day! And I saw Brenda from Red Deer the day before. Good grief Daria, you know that you are at the cancer institute too much when you run into people you know all the time ;)

YES...lunch this week for sure.
xoxoxo

Sarah Sullivan said...

Sending hugs and love your way and lots of healing! How wonderful to have Audrey there. Sorry to hear it was under not so wonderful times..but still!!
Hugs, Sarah

Bernie said...

I think it is very important that you are able to talk about how you feel, your plans, your beliefs and it is wonderful that you feel such a great connection with your nurse Daria......so happy you were able to meet with your friend as well. One can be happy wherever one is...Hugs