Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Flu Season Facts

I’ve come across a few people recently who have either had a cold or the flu. And my reaction is usually the same ... I try to put some distance between them and myself. I try to be on high alert on things that they’ve touched so I don’t touch them. I just don’t even want to consider being sick. 

So, as this flu season approaches, it’s time for some simple reminders on how to avoid getting sick. They are things we all should be doing all year long but have probably become lax on.

  • Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands ... or, if you can’t wash your hands, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
  • Refrain from touching your nose, mouth and eyes.
  • Stay away from people who appear to be sick.
  • If you are going to have visitors, don’t be afraid to ask them if they or any immediate family members are ill.
  • Consider a flu vaccine.
And for friends and family of someone undergoing cancer treatment, please remember that people undergoing treatment are at a higher risk of infection because of their chemo weakened immune system. A simple flu to a healthy person can turn into pneumonia in a cancer patient. So be aware.

For more information on flu facts for cancer patients ... pls click here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know right.... my body is immune is built back up but the scar tissue is a horror show in my chest...a simple cold floors me with tons of meds..

Bernie said...

Good advice my friend, when are you going to Ottawa?
Hope you are doing well....:-)Hugs

Nancy said...

I've never had a flu shot myself, but maybe I better get one this year since my immune system is low due to my chemo treatments. I always hate reminding people to not visit me if they are sick, you would think they'd know better but...