Saturday, February 20, 2010

Looking Back One Year

I went back in my blog ... one year to see how I was feeling for 1 week. I remember feeling pretty down in the dumps as the Taxotere side effects were really rough. And the steroids just added to it. As I read my posts ... my first reaction was ... hey, I think I wrote pretty clearly. That surprises me because my brain was under such a chemo fog ... I wasn’t sure what I would find when I re-read some of my stuff. 

As I read the posts, I remember feeling quite ill, moody and hopeless. I remember having terrible sleeps filled with nightmares and the days were filled with aches and pain and miserable feelings. The focus back then was to get through the day and then through the night ... and not much more. I remember feeling this was a one way experience ... I’d get worse and worse and then die. 

Never did I think I would go onto a new chemotherapy that would give me back some quality of life. I feel so much better now. 

My goal today in writing about my experience last year is to show that there is always hope.... things do change for the better.

10 comments:

Karen said...

Daria,

I can relate to all that you were feeling while you were on Taxotere: the hopelessness, insomnia, fears, and weakness, and all that goes along with that.

So glad that you're feeling better these days! What a difference a year makes!

Taking it one day at a time, with you,
Karen

ADB said...

Although I've only started reading you quite recently, I'm very pleased you have regained some quality of life over the past 12 months. Keep going!

Ann said...

I found taxotere (relatively) easy - I just switched to weekly taxol and it's much harder on me. I feel awful all the time now rather than just a couple of days every three weeks. Funny how we all react differently to the different chemicals they push into us, isn't it?

Kia Taylor said...

Amazing what a difference a year makes...I'm so glad things are moving in the right direction!!

Whidbey Woman said...

I'm glad that you are doing better on your new course of treatment. My husband is,too. It is amazing what a change in meds can do!
Have a great week.

Jacki said...

Glad you're feeling better!
Still praying for you!

Jill said...

Daria, you have come a long way in the last year and I definitely think your blog has helped a lot of readers.You show that there is hope for everyone.
Jill.

Elayne said...

Hello Daria~ just read this post and i am happy to hear you are feeling so much better compared to last year. I am wondering, is Xeloda is the drug you changed from after Taxotier? I may be starting Xeloda soon and am trying to learn as much about it as possible. My doctor did not mention loosing your hair on this one. Did you loose yours?
Hope you continue to feel better & better!

Christine said...

You inspired me to go back and reread what I wrote on my blog a year ago. I had just finished Taxotere and started on my current drug, Faslodex/Fulvestrant.

Another year and we're still here! Many more to come for both of us...

Dee said...

Daria, good for you - especially to let people know that you can come out the other end of such a dark time and have good quality of life! Thank you for posting that!