Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Fluid Around The Lungs

My January 25 CT scan showed an increase of fluid around my lungs. I was a bit surprised because during the month of December I was feeling so good. I was coughing very little and didn’t have any real signs of shortness of breath. Well recently things have changed. I have been coughing a bit more and have been experiencing some shortness of breath ... like when I come up from the basement after putting laundry in, I need to sit and rest a short while.

Last night I was hoping to get a good night’s sleep so I took some Benadryl before going to bed. What I find with Benadryl is that it settles my cough down and allows me to breathe easier therefore allowing me to fall asleep faster. Well it worked, I fell asleep real easy but I ended up waking myself with a wheezing sound coming from my lungs ... almost a whistling sound. I shifted my position a couple of times ... which stopped that annoying noise. Sounds coming from my lungs is common for me ... I often experience a crackling or wheezing sounds when I lay down to sleep but last night it was loud enough to wake me up.

Anyways, I’m sure hoping that fluid starts going down.

10 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Daria,

Hope the fluid around your lungs disappears soon. Praying for you, friend, and hoping that you get a better night's sleep tonight!

Peggy said...

Daria;

Getting enough sleep is a challenge sometimes. Hope the fluid clears up very soon and sweet dream follow!

Meaghan said...

I hope you start feeling better! This is a great blog and thank you for sharing your story with others, its not an easy thing to do.

xoxo
Meaghan

Carolyn R. Parsons said...

Hope you see improvement soon..sounds irritating and worrisome.

Take care
Breeze

Kerry ABOUT ME said...

Daria,

Benadryl totally knocks me out. I remember a computer class in college where I woke up at the end of it with little keyboard marks all over my face. I am so sorry you are having to go through this. You are a strong, tough lady. I will pray the fluid clears up quickly. Lots of love from TN,

Kerry Osborne

Christine said...

I know exactly what you mean by wheezing... almost a whistling sound, and crackling. I told my onc about it and he listened but said it sounded clear. I'm not convinced.

Barry said...

My thoughts are with you Daria! Take care.

Benadryl has certainly been my friend for the last few days.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

I am happy that Benadryl gives you some rest. I hope the fluid clears quickly too. Do they ever drain the lungs?

Daria said...

Sue, I have never had my lungs drained ... the Onc and I have discussed it but she feels it should be a last resort. Apparently it only lasts a month or maybe two before the fluid builds up again ... that is what she said when I was on Taxotere. Also the scaring on the lungs from doing the procedure causes other pockets of fluid to form.

Apparently, they'll only do the procedure on me when it really really bothers me and I'm not there yet.

ADB said...

I hope the fluid clears from your lungs soon, Daria