Monday, November 24, 2008

Chemo tomorrow

Well I just got back from my appointment at the Cross Cancer Institute. The blood work looks good for a chemo treatment tomorrow. My regular oncologist was away and so I had another one. He said I looked really good considering I had 5 treatments. He said patients are generally asking to stop chemo after 2 or 3 treatments, so he was surprised that I was sounding positive about it. I said, " Well when you choices are limited. You tend to have a different attitude." He said he thought it was more to do with physiology. Of course, I googled physiology to see what that means. I'm still not sure I know what that means exactly.

The oncologist also mentioned I appeared to be very 'puffy'. The steroids are causing me to gain weight or should I say water. They said not to worry, it's just water retention ... I think they are trying to make me feel better. Anyways, the research nurse mentioned water pills and my ears perked up. She suggested I talk to my regular oncologist about it.

Now that chemo is a go, I went over to the pharmacy and picked up my meds. Tonight I start the steroids and so the cycle begins.

Just wanted to share a quick breast cancer story for all my breast friends. As I was waiting for my husband to pick me up from the Cross, I sat down by another lady who was also waiting. We started to chat and she said she had breast cancer 30 years ago and it just came back. I love hearing stories like that ... not that it came back but that it stayed away for so many years.

1 comment:

ipa said...

Sending hugs to you today as you go through your chemo.
Please rest and relax - to the extent that you can.
I will hold you in my heart.
IPA