Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Just a quick review ...

In the last couple of weeks, I invited quite a few new people to my blog ... so I'm going to review a bit about my treatment and how I'm feeling.

I get chemo every 3 weeks and a CT scan once every 6 weeks. I have numerous tumors in my body and the goal is to shrink those tumors. I've had 2 CT scans and they have shown positive results.

How long will I be on chemo?

I don't know. I guess it will be as long as my body can take it and/or the chemo continues to be effective or ... my cancer goes into remission.

I do have options when it comes to chemotherapy, but for now, I am on Docetaxel (Taxotere). If for some reason my body or I need to take a break from treatment, we can stop for a few months or a year or so depending on my situation. I would then go back on chemo. Because there are so many variables, we do no have one set plan. Each person is different, so we just play it by ear.

I do take some medication to help with the side effects of the chemo and they themselves have there own side effects.

So how do I feel?

I feel no pain or discomfort from cancer. I never did. I do have discomfort from the chemo and the meds that go with it .... things like:

  • sore aching bones
  • flu-like symptoms, such as nasal headaches, stuffy nose, bleeding nose, watery eyes and sore/achy gums
  • upset stomach
  • constipation
  • blurred vision
  • skin changes
  • difficultly sleeping
  • fatigue and weakness
  • fluid retention (rounding of the face)
  • weight gain
  • hair loss
  • and a few others that I just can't remember right now ... 'chemo brain'
One thing I wanted to mention is that the side effects of the chemo and drugs varies with where I am in the cycle. The cycle is 21 days (3 weeks) and usually the symptoms are worst the first week after my chemo treatment .... and then they progressively get better until the next treatment.

Generally, I'm doing real well ... but I tire very easy. Standing for any length of time is difficult for me or walking distances is difficult too .... as long as I can sit down ... I'm pretty good.

Someone asked me if I could feel the chemo healing me ... the answer is no.

If you have specific questions, feel free to contact me and I'll put it in the blog.

Thank you everyone for your support.

No comments: