Saturday, December 18, 2010

Prescribed a Thyroid Medication

On Monday I mentioned I was struggling with my sleep. I said, I’d wake up breathing real hard ... trying to get some air in me. D described it as I start breathing shallow then I take a whole bunch of deep breaths to recover. So that morning I emailed the trials nurse to see if they could prescribe something for me to give me some relief. Between days off and telephone tag, it wasn’t till late yesterday I picked up my prescription for Eltroxin (levothyroxine) … a thyroid medication. I was not expecting a thyroid medication.

According to WebMD, Eltroxin is used to treat an underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism). It replaces or provides more thyroid hormone, which is normally produced by the thyroid gland. Symptoms of low thyroid hormone levels include tiredness, muscle aches, constipation, dry skin, weight gain, slow heartbeat, or sensitivity to cold.

I’d have to say I have many of  those symptoms … especially the fatigue and feeling cold all the time. If this little pill could get rid of the chills and give me some more energy, I’d be thrilled.

I see the Onc Thursday so I’ll find out more then.

5 comments:

gillian said...

Most intriguing. I am on eltroxin - had an overactive thyroid and now it's under - and so would be most intrigued as to why you have been prescribed it.
What I can say is that I am not aware of any side-effects it causes - which I am sure you will agree is great - but I have found that it takes weeks to kick in. Well, when I was very sick with Graves Disease (an auto-immune overactive thyoid disease which actually made me feel awful 24/7 for months and so was much worse than the cancer I had), every time they adjusted the medication, it took about 6 weeks to have an effect. Maybe that was just my experience.
Good luck. Intrigued to hear more - when you hear more.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Low thyroid is really common in women over 40. Almost all my friends are on Synthroid. Anyway you should start feeling better in a week or so. Not sure though if it will help your breathing at night.

WhiteStone said...

I've been on synthroid for 20 years. Every 6 mos or yearly I get a simple blood test to see if the current dosage is doing its job. Have you had a blood test for thyroid function?

Daria said...

WhiteStone, I don't know if I have ever had one but I'm sure I have. I have had trouble with my pituitary gland but I can't say my thyroid.

I sure look forward to talking to the Onc on Thursday to find out his thoughts.

Bernie said...

Daria I have been on this same medication for several years. I don't think it does anything for chills or sleep but it did help with my energy level and still does. Hope you are well....:-)Hugs