Friday, December 3, 2010

My CT Results Are In

The receptionist called out my name and I was ushered into the examining room. As I’m sitting there, I’m still thinking of how I was going to apologize about not fasting for the CT scan last week. Then it occurred to me … wow this is my first CT scan since the start of my new chemo six weeks ago. What’s it gonna to show?

Well my Onc and the trials nurse came in together which is always a bit overwhelming. Onc sat down in a chair beside me, leaned over and showed me the radiologist’s report that compares today’s scan to the October 15th scan. My eyes darted down to the two tumor sizes they use to monitor my liver. … 3.6 x 2.5 cm and 3.0 x 2.2 cm. Together they shrunk 33.7 %. I could hardly believe it; when I looked up, both the Onc and the nurse were just smiling at me. What a surprise for me!!! What a surprise!!!

The Onc said these results are very good indeed and that your total liver volume has shrunk by 5% but added that is still quite swollen. He also said that the tumor makeup has changed from a hard lesion to a softer lesion and that it’s more watery like. Another surprise!!!

Pretty well anything said after that was muffled in my brain: I couldn’t process what was coming in fast enough. It felt like I was floating off my chair… like having an out of body experience. Were they really talking to me or was I dreaming?

With the radiologist report in hand, I headed home. I wondered what the tumor size back when I first started this whole deal in August of 2008. My blog notes that the largest tumor was 4.0 x 4.0 cm. So thru the four chemo’s that I’ve been on since then, my tumor size has yo-yo’d a lot.

Still not believing the news, I checked to make sure that it was my name on the report.

19 comments:

Pateeta said...

Oh, Daria!
Tears of joy for you! Thank you God for prayers answered. I'm so happy!

love,
Patty

WhiteStone said...

Yayyy for the good news.

And, yes, good to check to see if your name is one the report. lol. I went to Mayo a year ago for a second opinion and there happened to be three women of "my name" in the clinic that morning.

So after checking your name, double check the bdate, too. (smile)

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

This is such good news and what a relief it must be.

Sami said...

Woohoo! Congrats Daria! Such great news!

Bernie said...

Tears of happiness for you my friend, I am just so pleased that you received such great news. I am so excited for you, I can only imagine how you must feel. Prayers that everything are going in the right direction.....:-)Hugs

Peggy said...

daria;

I am more then misting my friend.
I am tickled pink for you!!!! :)

Eileen said...

Hey, Daria, congratulations!! That is great news, indeed. What a wonderful blessing to get as we head into the holiday season - just one more thing to celebrate!

Erin said...

" 'And,has thou slain the Jabberwock? Come to my arms, my beamish boy! O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy..."

Tonya Graham Jamois said...

I'm so happy for you! Congratulations on some wonderful news!

Whidbey Woman said...

:) Can you see my grin all the way from Washington State?
Such great news!!! I am so happy for you, Daria. Thanks be to God.

Dee said...

Excellent, my friend, excellent! Always love to hear about tumors shrinking!

Joanie said...

That is simply wonderful news!!! I hope things keep moving i nthis direction for you!

Tina said...

Daria--GREAT NEWS!!! I'm soooo happy for you!

Anonymous said...

Awesome news

Glenn said...

Don't ya just love it when a plan comes together!!! Fantastic news Daria, I am floating with ya!!! Your view on clinical trials have changed....you kept the faith girl. Keep going!!!!! Woooo Hoooo just love the rainbows!!!

Nancy K. said...

That is SO great! I'm very happy for you.

Kind of like an early Christmas present!

I guess I'll wish you a Happy New Year now...

;-)

Bill said...

This is really wonderful news, I am so very happy for you and yours.
Bill

gillian said...

Delighted Daria!

Dr. Swill said...

Daria!!!
I'm so happy to hear the good news! My scans are next week...already nervous!
Peace B