Monday, October 26, 2009

A New Regimen

Today I had my appointment with my oncologist to decide on my next course of action. We are going to go with XELODA® Capecitabine tablets. I will take five pills in the morning and five pills in the evening for two weeks straight with one week off making it a three-week cycle.

So here are pluses from today's’ visit …
  • My PICC line was removed. No more weekly visit to the clinic for dressing changes.
  • There will be fewer visits to the clinic. I only come in once every three weeks for blood work and a doctor’s visit. CT scans will now be once every three months instead of every six weeks.
  • The fluid around my lungs will go down because it was likely caused by the Taxotere.
  • The bone scan taken last Thursday indicates that cancer on my ribs is no longer visible.
  • The pharmacist said that the Xeloda was a popular prescription and that there were many patients on it. I thought that was encouraging. I also asked her about side effects as compared to Taxotere and she said Taxotere is one of the tougher chemos. She did not say this one would be easier but I just feel it might be. 

The clinic gave me this handy dandy pill organizer to make sure everything goes smoothly. I start first thing tomorrow morning.

Over all I’m feeling pretty excited with this new plan.

16 comments:

Sherry said...

I sense your excitement with this new plan Daria and it sounds so much better. The taxane drugs ARE the worst (I still have s/e's and it's been 3 years since I had taxol!). I have heard of many people who take xeloda so that is encouraging and no more picc??? Bliss!!!

Great news about your ribs too...wishing and praying that you find smoother sailing with this new drug! ♥

Barry said...

So, all in all, it sounds like good news and a less taxing schedule for you.

At least I hope so.

Joanie said...

Well, that sounds like a good visit all the way around! No more picc line, doc appts cut in half, blood work cut in half, easier meds, scans cut in half, and no cancer visible on your ribs! And that organizer is terrific! So easy to tell if you forgot a dose!

Teresa said...

That does sound much better. I'll hope for the best for you.

Anonymous said...

Happy for you, no more picc line
Hugs

Tina said...

Hope the new drug works well for you, with fewer side effects!

whidbeywoman said...

All in all, pretty good news! You must be so glad to get off of the Picc line. Ron was on Xeloda. Those are really BIG pills! So, your pill organizer should have large compartments. I hope you have success with it, and that the side effects aren't too bad.

Arlene said...

Just wanted to let you know that I am among the many many friends who are wishing and praying that this new plan makes things easier for you and that you have great success with it.

Jill said...

I am happy that you got your picc line line out and on a new chemo regime. I certainly hope the side effects are less than the taxotera. Good luck Daria:)

BLOGitse said...

I'm happy for you!
All the best!

Renee said...

Fantastic about no cancer on the ribs.

Okay now with xeloda are you also taking tykerb. Tykerb is for her2 positive and there are fantastic results with it. If you are her2 then get the tykerb added as it is a trial and supposed to be remarkable.

I am dying to get on tykerb but can't because it is only being offered with xeloda. Seriously is you are her2 then call about this asap.

Now when I was on xeloda it made me laxtose intolerant so they say you can take a lactaid with it. Otherwise you will have severe cramps. I mean you won't but if you develop the laxtose intolerant you will and the lactaid totally helps.

Xeloda was completly fine, nothing like taxotere or fec.

Love Renee xoxoxo

Dee said...

What is the dosage on your Xeloda? Mine was 500mg/pill. The max dose of the 500mg/pill is three in the am and three in the pm. So, I'm thinking your dosage is 125mg/pill?

My friend, Heather, composed a song about the side effects I had when I took 3 in the am and 3 in the pm. The song can be accessed via my blog (go to labels and then Xeloda). She composed the song to the tune of My Sharona. I love it!

I don't want to spoil your excitement, but I also want you to be somewhat prepared for what it can do. When all was said and done, I decreased my dose until it was 2 in the am and 1 in the pm and then gradually done to 2 in the am.

Another woman, Liz, didn't seem to have many side effects on Xeloda at all. So, let's hope you're in that camp!

Congrats on the decrease of cancer in the rib! Yay!

Daria said...

Renee, my cancer is estrogen positive and not HER2 positive ... so it's just Xeloda for now.

I'm hoping it will be easier than the Taxotere but it might take a cycle or two to get the dosage to where it needs to be.

I am thrilled to be off the Taxotere.

Daria said...

Dee, I'm at 1800 mg total dosage right now. I'll probably have to adjust that as time goes by.

I'll visit your blog and look for that song ... how cute is that.

The Dirty Pink Underbelly said...

Hooray for nothing visible on your ribs!!!! That is great!

Peggy said...

Glad to hear that your ribs look pretty clean...yahoodle!
Sounds like this new medicine might just be a little easier on you! Congrats!