Saturday, October 24, 2009

Bone Scan

Yesterday I had a bone scan done at the clinic. For a bone scan, a radioactive tracer substance is injected into a vein in the arm. The tracer then travels through the bloodstream and into the bones.

Two different people made a total of four attempts to get this tracer into my veins. The problem was that after so many years of being poked and prodded, my veins have become so very fragile and kept exploding every time they stuck a needle in. Ouch! Never the less, they got enough in my veins so that they could see my bones.

While I was at the clinic I became really chilled. I think it was from the flu shot I got the night before. When I got home I wrapped myself up in blankets, head to toe. I ended up having a short nap and feeling better.

Last night I woke up at 4:00 am with a bout of diarrhea ... likely from the radioactive tracer that was making its way out of my system.

I'm glad this week is over.

8 comments:

Michelle said...

My mum has been battling constipation and the opposite all week. It's horrible. Love to you.

xxx

Barry said...

I had the same scan about three weeks ago, fortunately without the side effects you experienced.

I think you will find things are back to normal tomorrow.

At least I hope so.

Roxanne said...

You must have felt like a human pin cushion! Praying for good results for you, Daria. How is school going?

WhiteStone said...

Hope tomorrow is a good day! Bless you.

Kia Taylor said...

Hope you're feeling better!!

CINDY said...

I've had so much of that stuff put in my veins. Everytime I get stuck with a needle my veins hide or explode also. I pray the results show good news for you. I made an entry a few days ago about a wedding, today I'll add part 2 with pics. Stop by when you get a chance.
(((hugs)))

Tracey said...

Hope your feeling better now Daria.. I had a bone scan last week but thankfully no injection for me.. i laid on a table while things moved over me... so relaxing hehe xx

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.