Thursday, October 1, 2009

Early Chemo Side Effects

Last night’s sleep was not too bad ... I woke up at 1:30am feeling really hot from the steroids. My cheeks were burning up. I got up and read blogs for about an hour where I cooled off really well. I jumped back into bed and fell asleep pretty quickly.

My chemo symptoms aren’t too bad yet. My vision is a bit blurred with watery eyes. My breathing is a bit laboured and I’m a bit weaker.

This cycle is the first cycle where I have not and plan not to take any Zofran, the anti-nausea drug. I have continually cut back on the pills because I do not seem to experience serious nausea but I do experience serious constipation. Today I had a regular bowel movement which is a small victory. My last cycle, I took one pill of the six prescribed pills. This cycle I plan on taking none, I may be so done with those things.

Oh yes, coffee still tastes pretty good too.

9 comments:

Debby said...

Yes. I know that we should be avoiding caffeine. I actually gave up chocolate (mostly) just to be able to have my two cups of coffee in the morning and not feel guilty about it.

Sherry said...

I'm glad that you are working with the pills to get to what works for you and not just what is prescribed! And so glad your coffee is still tasting good!! Hope that continues!

Karen said...

Daria:

I could relate to everything that you just commented about; those side effects can really get to you. But hang in there and try to take one day at a time.

Praying for you!

Joanie said...

It's great that you can avoid the Zofran. If you get any nausea, would Compazine be any easier on you?
I remember once John was able to stop taking the anti-nausea drugs, he wasn't so tired any more.

Elsa D. said...

dear Daria, I hope you get to rest tonight! I am on the same boat, these anti-nausea can make us so tired...
a hug
Elsa

WhiteStone said...

After my first chemo session I never again used the anti-nausea meds. Didn't have to, by the good grace of God. I continue to use Miralax which to me is a miracle remedy for the constipation. I read your blog daily and keep you in my prayers. Bless you!

Denise said...

Glad that you were able to go back to sleep......Praying for you sweet friend.........

Michelle said...

Sounding positive Daria.

XXX

Karen said...

It has never occurred to me to not take something they told me to take! Thanks a lot for opening that idea up to me.