Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Winning Is Not Giving Up

Last week, Barbara Walters had Patrick Swayze on the Barbara Walters Special. It was on at 11:00 pm and as much as I wanted to watch it ... I was just not able to stay up to that hour. Fortunately I found it on You Tube.

Last year Patrick Swayze was diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. It is a very aggressive type of cancer and he was only expected to live a few months. He has since lived 10 months and recorded a 13 episode television show. Shortly after the interview with Barbara Walters, Patrick acquired pneumonia and is presently recovering in the hospital.

I find it interesting to see how different people deal with their diagnosis.

I think most all people facing a serious diagnosis start out being very fearful. You’ve been given this new reality and you have to figure out what it all means and how you’re going to deal with it. After much soul searching, I think you probably come to the realization of something like ... I am still alive and I need to continue to live as best I can ... while I am still alive.

From personal experience and from listening to many other cancer survivors ... you go through a lot of emotions. Some people choose to kick and scream ... others get angry and frustrated ... some feel self-pity and bitterness ... others feel sadness and regret ... but eventually, it seems, strength and courage prevails and you just do it.

In the interview with Barbara Walters, Patrick Swayze also spoke of the feelings and emotions he felt since being diagnosis with his cancer and they are very similar to what others experience but the one thing that he said that inspired me most was when he said, “Winning is not giving up.”

No comments: