Tuesday, November 9, 2010

New Metastatic Support Group

I am thrilled to say that the Cross Cancer Clinic is now offering a Metastatic Cancer Support Group for women. The focus of the group is to encourage dialogue among women with metastatic cancer. The launch of this program has been such a long time coming for all with mets.

The common ground that brings mets gals together is to help each other deal with the emotional realities when faced with living with mets. Each gal sharing their personal experience on treatment, how they cope and how they find hope.

I attended the very first two sessions and found that they’re so helpful to me. For example, last week we talked a bit about finding hope when hope is hard to find. I shared my experience to the group, sometimes when I’m low on hope, I create my own. I schedule a special event like go out to a dinner theater, maybe a mini vacation like a family visit in another city or just go out and buy a new outfit. 

For me, I find it always helps when you have something to look forward to and focus on. While this support group might not extend your life here, participating will give you a better quality of life while you are here.

So if you are in the Edmonton AB area and living with mets and would like to join, call the main reception number of the Psychosocial and Spiritual Resources Program at (780) 643 - 4303.

4 comments:

Joanna Moore said...

I love your phrase, "when I'm low on hope, I create my own." That is something I am going to commit to memory.

Bernie said...

I so agree with Joanna, I think we all should commit this to our hearts. You sound better sweetie, how is the infection.....:-)Hugs

Daria said...

Hi Bernie, the infection is better ... itchiness is down, not so red.

The first couple of weeks on this drug has been tough but as I learn to deal with the side effects ... I feel better.

I'm so glad I'm on the bp medication ... it's given me relief from most of the headaches, dizziness and nausea I was having.

Marlene said...

Hi Daria - sounds like things are settling down for you and that makes me very happy! We have a Metastatic Support Group here in Vancouver that I've been attending for about 4 years now. Such an amazing group of women - we laugh, we cry, we share experiences and compare notes, we mourn and we celebrate. I wrote an article on 'The Club You Don`t Want to Join` and posted it on my Apr 4th posting if you`re interested in reading it. I can only hope that you (and the others in this `club` get as much out of your time together as we do here on coast.

Stay well my friend...