Saturday, January 8, 2011

Heart Test and Bone Scan

Yesterday was a bit of a long day at the clinic. I got there for an 11 am appointment … my Echo-cardiogram. Basically, the technician spends most of her time doing an ultra sound of my heart, taking pictures and recording this and that. Here and there she would ask me some general questions about my heart history … Have I had any heart problems? Experienced any fluid around my heart? Have I ever been on high bp medication? Experienced any shortness of breath? The appointment was a good 45 minutes.

I thought I’d share this three minute video of an Echo-cardiogram with you.

My next appointment was a bone scan. First order of business was to have the contrast injected into my vein. Two nurses and two attempts later, we found a good vein … success I was starting to light up on the inside. It takes a good hour and 45 for the contrast to circulate through the body so the technician said to come back almost two hours … and oh yes, she said, try and drink lots of coffee or whatever so that you can pee twice before then. Argg I go … I have so much trouble putting down fluids. I said I’d do my best.

Since I only had one tablespoon of oatmeal that morning, I thought I’d go to the cafeteria and picked up a fresh salad with some grilled chicken pieces and a small juice. I could barely finish it before indigestion set in. The best I could do was one pee.

I came back for my bone scan and a half hour later I was all done.

It was 3:30 and I was anxious to call D. I was so ready to go home and put my feet up.


Bernie said...

Glad your test are done. Hope you are cozy and warm through this snow storm.....:-)Hugs

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I hate all the tests!!!! I remember that bone scan and the having to drink and pee, etc. A whole day of needle pricks and drinking and peeing. I feel axious for you, Daria, as I read.
I'll be waiting with you for the results of it all!!!!

Nancy K. said...

I'm praying for positive results for you. I just read yesterday's post. Do you mean the Onc never said what he thought the cough was from? Didn't he go over the X-ray results with you? Couldn't he prescribe some cough medicine? I'm going to have to have a little chat with that doctor! (don't worry ~ I always threaten my daughter that I'm going to 'have a little chat' with her commanding officer when I think they're being 'mean' to her). I haven't actually done anything ~ YET! ;-)

Elayne said...

Daria~ I know this time is very difficult and exhausting. I am going through many of the same tests right now as well. Praying for you and your test results.

Daria said...

Nancy he sent me for a chest x-ray after the app't. I did ask for an inhaler and he gave me a prescription for that.

I don't know ... each week I come to him with some other issue. In my mind ... I feel my body is falling apart ... all the treatment I've had over the last 2.5 years is catching up to me. I've had lots of tests this week and more next so hopefully we will get to the bottom of it.

nancyspoint said...

Daria, Thanks for sharing about your tests. I remember when I had my echocardiogram. It was two weeks after my mastectomy and I needed it to see if my heart could withstand chemo. Having that ultrasound device pressing on my chest was so painful I could hardly stand it. Typically it should be painless I guess!

gillian said...

Is an echo-cardiogram a muga scan? Hope all the tests go ok. Thinking of you a lot.

Daria said...

gillian, I've never had a muga scan tho when I Google it ... it looks like it may be a bit different because it requires a radioactive isotope injection.