Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Feeling the Effects of all the Holiday Celebrations

I’ve been really coughing a lot over the past week. I’ve used Halls cough drops which have allowed  me to breathe easier and I've used Ativan to calm me down. I've been taking ½ of an Ativan at night and the same amount during the day … for the past four days and nights.

This morning I woke up coughing abruptly unable to catch my breath. I ended up going into a dark quiet room all by myself trying to calm down. Sure enough I eventually caught my breath.

I’m thinking the last few weeks have been more than too busy for me. Between the Christmas Festivities, travel and the changes to treatment and side effects, I’m worn out. Not only am I physically worn out but I’m emotional worn out … I’m feeling anxious, frustrated and weepy.

This morning I called my psychologist at the clinic and booked in an appointment to see her. I’m hoping she can help me with a new plan of action … something that will put me back on track to a more calmer me.

9 comments:

Bernie said...

Oh sweetie, you have every right to feel the way you do, you will be okay Daria, but I do believe you need something to address your cough. Ativan will help your anxiety but I don't think it will help your cough at all. Glad you made an appointment. Keeping you in my heart and prayers...:-)Hugs

Joanie said...

I hope, now that the holidays are over, you can rest and relax. Simply doing nothing would be wonderful for you.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Hi Daria
Is it very dry in your house? The dry air could be irritating your throat and lungs making you cough. Could you try a humidifier to see if it would make you more comfortable?

Since the holidays are over, you can now just relax and get your strength back.

Glenn said...

Daria, I think we all feel that way after the holidays. I'm so sure you'll be fine and actually that's really all you need to tell yourself, everything is fine. I'm so proud of you always on top of it, maybe cut yourself a little slack and spoil yourself even with a relaxing treat of some kind. I don't think any of us think to spoil ourselves after the holidays but dammit why not!!!!! Keep going girl you're doing so awesome!!! BTW I always found that rather then fighting the tears to just let them come trust me there is no better sleep that comes afterwards that and an overwhelming sense of peace.

Elayne said...

Hope you feel better soon Daria. I have felt very much the same way since all the holidays and celebrations. Hanging in there together :)

Joules Evans said...

You are in my thoughts and prayers, Daria:)

Nancy K. said...

Good for you for seeking help when you need it! I hope your therapist helps you calm yourself and that you find something to control that cough! That has to be exhausting!

I'll say a prayer for you...

Eileen said...

The holidays had the same affect on me - I love them, but I haven't been able to adjust my behavior to the realities of my situation, and I overdid. So now it's the coughing and hacking... and for me, the obvious infection involved. Gah.

Not to mention that all the coughing hurts the spine and ribs, weakened as they are with tumors.

I think the humidifier idea might be a good one - ask your doctor about that.

I wish I could give you a good idea of what to do about the emotional/energy end of things. The fact is that Low Dose Naltrexone keeps my energy up reasonably and keeps me from getting depressed and anxious overly much, and helps with the pain... but it does mean that I can't use most of the cough/cold/flu medications. Which kind of sucks at the moment. So I guess I'd suggest it to you, but only after you stop needing cough suppressants...

Good luck to you, my dear.

gillian said...

I think that the call to see the psychologist is just so typical of how you always take control of things!