Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Cycle 4

Today was cycle (chemo treatment) 4. The treatment took 3 3/4 hours. Fortunately I have my portable DVD player to occupy my time and mind. It was busy in the Daycare area because of the holiday Monday this past week.

As I look at the others in the treatment area ... most people are older and/or much older than me. Many in the 70's and 80's (I think), which surprises me because chemo is tough and I don't know where they get the courage to do it. As I look at the individuals who are getting chemo and the family and friends that come with them, I try and think about what is going through their minds. I can read on peoples faces that some struggle with the treatment and some have a sense of humor and handle it better. Some of the family that comes for support are children and grandchildren ... all trying to make things go a bit easier for their family members. How sad it is in the daycare area. I sometimes describe it as zombies coming in for treatment. People come in expressionless waiting to be called in for treatment and then the nurses take them away and poke their bodies with IVs and needles filled with these awful chemicals.

I must say it is hard to be a chemo patient but I feel for the nurses too.

Regardless, the treatment went well. I expect the week to go well also. The awful days are Monday and Tuesday of next week when my steroids run out. Until then, I am going to enjoy my time as best I can.

No comments: