Sunday, September 21, 2008

Almost normal ...

The last few days, I've almost felt normal. I am coughing a bit, which concerns me. Tomorrow, I go see my oncologist for the regular blood work and exam before the next cycle. I have questions to ask her such as ... when is the best time to see the dentist? can/should I consider going back to work part-time? can I cut down on the anti-nausea drugs ... either the dosage or the number of pills? I tend to be on a 'high' right after chemo for about 4 days and then I go into a 'low' for a couple of days. The 'low' days really suck.

I had some scans done last week. It has only been a couple of chemo treatments since the previous scans. I don't know if we will see any change. I sure hope it isn't worse.

I also see the psychologist once a month. I need someone to keep my mind focused and clear. It would be so easy to 'fall apart' and I need to be careful. She knows how to offer words of encouragement.

One of the things that I did to give me something to focus on is ... I registered for a course that is part of the HR diploma program that I started a few years ago. I wasn't sure I could focus enough so that I could study. I'm glad to say, I can. In fact it has given me confidence in my abilities to focus during these times. Of course, there are days I will not open my books however, on the good days, I feel like I'm able to do something productive. It gives me something to look forward to ... assignments, exams, the next course, etc. At a time when the future is fussy, it feels good to look ahead.

Back to my studies ... Financial Accounting.

No comments: