Thursday, December 3, 2009

Getting Some of the Old Me Back

It’s been about six and a half weeks since my last cycle with Taxotere and I’m showing more signs of improvement just about every day. For example, I can walk up the stairs in one shot after a shower instead of resting at the base of the stairs; I can stand and brush my teeth ... instead of sitting on the side of the tub. When driving, I can turn the steering wheel ... no problem. My jaw doesn’t feel weak when I bite down on food and I’m slowly getting my taste buds back so things like fruit and raw veggies are becoming yummy again.

Yesterday, after the Breast Cancer Support Group coffee instead of going straight to my car, I stopped to look at some stuff in the mall ... it was just a few minutes but still that is something I’m so proud of. I’m really excited to be getting some of the old me back ... and just in time for Christmas. I couldn’t ask for a better gift.

13 comments:

WhiteStone said...

I am soooo happy for you! It's hard to realize it in the midst of chemo, but the recovery of body and mind does occur. So glad you are doing better each day.

Teresa said...

That is good news. I'm glad you are feeling better--I hope there's more of that in your future.

Sarah Sullivan said...

Whoo hooo...That is wonderful hon! so very thrilled for you!! Doing happy dance for you!! :)Sarah

Elayne said...

Daria~ that is wonderful news. I am so glad you are feeling better. Every small step is a huge victory!
Merry Christmas~

Karen said...

Oh, Daria, your post brought back many memories. I remember when I could actually FEEL my strength returning, and you're right, it is such a gift. May your strength continue to improve each day! Blessings to you! Remember to take it easy, though, and give yourself some much-deserved "down" time so that you have more energy to do the fun things! :)

Sandy said...

Daria - how wonderful for you. I am so happy to hear that you are basically getting an early Christmas present. Just think how good you will be feeling for Christmas!

Peggy said...

I echo all the other comments. I'm so happy, great news!
Many more good things for you, I pray!

Deb said...

Yes, it's the treatments that make patients so sick and not the cancer sometimes itself. I can imagine how every little return to better health is making you fell....keep up the good work Daria...you inspire all of us!
Deb

Sara Diana said...

Well done Daria. It is so wonderful being able to do small things when you come out of treamtent, I will never take small pleasures for granted again x

Dee said...

Yay, Daria! That's so cool that you're getting your energy back.

Now, let's hope that nasty Xeloda does what it has to. Glad you found the Udderly Soft cream - I really liked it myself.

donna peach said...

Hey Daria,

What a triumph. Feeling strength is such an amazing thrill when most of the time only the basics of living are such a drain. Showering is a major effort for me and climbing stairs, an Olympic event. Wishing you more days of increased strength.

Hugs,

Anonymous said...

i'm glad to hear about yr improvement, stay on course

WhiteStone said...

Daria, I can't seem to connect through your facebook pic. It shows me your pic and name but I see no place to add you to my facebook. So will you send me an invite? My email addy is judystill and I am at hotmail