Saturday, November 14, 2009

Lunch And A Flu Shot For Dessert

Yesterday I had a nice lunch with a couple of old girl friends. I received flowers and a bear from one and my other friend paid for lunch. It was nice to meet with these gals. We had worked together in a previous job so there was no lack of conversation ... lots of news to get caught up on.

Then ... I went for my H1N1 shot. I walk in and am six deep for two nurses. Oh I thought ... I should be outa here in half an hour.... not! One woman had a young boy who didn’t want his shot and after 15 minutes the nurse said something to the effect of.... “Are we giving the shot or not?” The nurse instructed the mother how to hold the boy’s arms and legs and the deed was done.

Then there was the lady who was in wheel chair and on oxygen. She got her H1N1 shot and panicked. She started hyperventilating and screaming that she had intense pain in her back. She said call an ambulance. The two nurses called for a supervisor and all three calmed her down. She eventually left with no side effects.

Can I tell you ... I was ready to make a dash for it as this was turning into a gong show. Finally my number was called. Yahoo. I told the nurse that I thought they all were amazing. It took about 45 minutes to get through three people and then 15 to get through three more.

Anyways, because I had my regular flu shot in my left arm and I have lymphedema in my right arm, I had to get this shot in my thigh. I didn’t even feel it, but I can I tell you ... today I am limping. Ouch it is sore.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

a nice lunch eh, good for you. Regarding the H1N1 shot, i understand that the world is yet to develop the proper vaccine for it. What the doctors are giving are simply those for tamilflu which is the closest to H1N1, this is what i hear.Is this true? It seems that it'll take 4 to 5 yrs to get the proper vaccine and the H1N1 was detected only less than a year ago.

Daria said...

Bluesman,

I suspect what you say is true.

My decision to get this shot was based on my health. I have a weakened immune system and I'm hoping this shot will in some way reduce my risk of getting H1N1.

Anonymous said...

I agree that given yr current high risk situation, you should take every precaution to strengthen your immune system. Take care my friend and stay strong. theBluesman is always praying for your good health.

Kia Taylor said...

Oh gosh, I can just imagine the scene...mass hysteria:) Those nurses have their work cut out for them don't they!

Renee said...

I prefer cake.

xoxox

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Even though your shot took up much more time than you bargained, you did get a good story out of it. I haven't gotten one yet-not high enough risk but friends who received it say they felt bad afterwards.

Barry said...

I'm sorry to hear what you had to go through. It is unbelievable the shot is not available in regular doctor's offices.

Our doctor has some of it but neither Linda or I are in a high risk category.

Maybe after your experience, its a good thing.

Jill said...

That was quite a time there Daria but at least you finally got the shot. I was lucky as my Doctor had some and he gave me both shots at the same time. Only effects were sore arms for a few days. Apparently I had to have it because of my upcoming surgery. Have a great weekend Daria. :)