Thursday, June 4, 2009

Quiet Day Here

For the past couple of nights, my husband has taken me for a walk down the ally to a certain telephone pole. Today we measured the distance to that pole and back to our house. We used Google Map Pedometer. So I can walk 560'.

In my other life ... I walked a marathon ... 43 kilometers/26 miles.

I am a bit motivated by a fellow metastatic breast cancer survivor who is undergoing very similar treatment as myself. I believe she started Taxotere pretty well when I did in August of 2008. She has hired a personal trainer to get herself in better shape ... which should get her more strength and energy. She says she does what she can. I'm amazed at her enthusiasm.

I know exercising or even just walking is the right thing to do ... but if you have ever experienced chemo for any length of time ... for me anyways, it's the last thing I want to be doing.

Today is a quiet day but the highlight of it is that coffee tastes pretty good. I think I've already had three cups. Up till now the taste buds have been preventing me from enjoying it.

Hope everyone is doing O.K.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know how much you love your coffee, so I am very happy to hear that it is tasting good again!

Good job on the walking - it doesn't matter about the before - what is important is what you are accomplishing today, and I think you are accomplishing a lot Little Missy!

Michelle said...

Mum has the same thing, since cancer and surgery, she has just not been able to walk far.....round the supermarket is impossible most days....during chemo she is lucky to make it to the bathroom and back. It is hard to watch. Im glad you are enjoying something Daria, its the little stuff that counts isn't it.

Love to you

xx

Debby said...

If you're anything like me, when chemo is done, you're going to 'snap right back' because you were in good shape to begin with. I was lucky not to lose my taste buds. Honestly, I would have missed savoring my morning coffee something awful.

Nic N said...

Yeah, it can be awfully tough to motivate yourself while on chemo to go out and be active. Every little bit helps, though, to keep mind and body in some kind of shape! Speaking of, I am about to walk my dogs!

Renee said...

Way to go Daria. That is wonderful. I understand completely. I use to try to walk to my stop sign and back. Now I don't even do that.

I need to. xoxoxo

Lesa said...

Yeah but in your other life you were not enduring chemo. 560' is better than nothing. Do what you can, when you can and enjoy that coffee. Shine on! xo

nollyposh said...

Good on you... Yep i remember walking was hard as was not having any taste buds sighhhh... BUT it is amazing how the body bounces back, i feel that juicing raw vegies has really helped in my recouping xox

Roxanne said...

I'm glad you were able to get out and walk a bit. And more glad you can taste your coffee. Never heard of google pedometer. Cool thing!!

Denise said...

Praying that your strength is increased! AND I am a coffee LOVER ... just cannot imagine not drinking my coffee..........

Anonymous said...

"Hope everyone is doing O.K."
Ya we are all Okay. And we hope that you're okay too. Motivate yourself to walk even further, just do it!

Deb said...

Good for you Daria on making taking those extra steps. Having the courage to keep going the extra mile is what having cancer is all about. Keep walking and keep inspiring us all!
Deb

Jill said...

Daria, each step you take is an accomplishment and will improve as time passes. Just getting outside and enjoying some nice weather is also good for you. Don't overdo it though.
Enjoy your coffee:)
Hugs
Jill.

Renee said...

kisses and hugs darling. xoxoxo

Beth said...

I am on day 3 of no coffee (can't stomach it after chemo). I'm so glad you can have yours again, I should be able to have a cup in a week or so... and I haven't made it out the door in 3 days, so good for you and your 560'!

Sara Diana said...

I know exactly what you mean about walking and chemo! Pre cancer I was a runner and a swimmer - now it takes supreme effort to walk