Saturday, April 18, 2009

Hospital Souvenirs

While in the hospital I received some lovely gifts.

I wanted to thank my mother, sister O, and my sister D, for the lovely flowers, chocolates and bear. The flowering plant ... sorry don't know the name ... has these very pretty yellow flowers. There are many new buds that will be gorgeous once they open up.

I also wanted to thank my sister A, for visiting me daily.

I wanted to thank Audrey for calling around the city to each hospital and tracking me down. She came to see me within half an hour of me being released which meant I never got a chance to use any of the items however ... this is a wonderful hospital care package. It included; an Oprah magazine, chocolates, hand cream, a pen and booklet to keep notes and some silly putty ... to keep a good sense of humor.

I wish I would have had a pen and paper when I first got there so that I could record some of the stuff that went on in the hospital ... because while I laid there ... I had all these ideas for the blog but now they are all gone.

When I went into the hospital on Sunday night, I really thought they would give me a prescription for some antibiotics and off I'd go ... never did I think I'd be in the hospital for 3 days 3 nights. That was a bit of a shocker.

I'd mentioned in an earlier post that the surgeons took out my catheter at 2:30 on Sunday morning but prior to that, they took blood samples via the catheter and my foot. Once they removed the catheter, they cut of the end piece that had been in my body and sent it to the lab. They also took a swab of the hole from which the catheter was removed. Again this was sent to the lab. Apparently, what they do is grow a culture of the infection and see what it is ... that way they can more accurately treat the infection. The doctors told me what it was but because I never wrote it down I just can't be sure. It was something quite common and they said there is nothing I did wrong in maintaining the catheter ... these things just happen. That made me feel better.

Anyways everything turned out O.K. in the end ... and that is a good thing.


Anonymous said...

Daria, I am so happy that I was able to track you down - wish I had done it sooner so that you could have been taking copious notes (which Dr is sneaking off with which nurse, etc, etc!).

And, I am so grateful that you are feeling stronger each day! Know that you are loved by all who know you!

Renee said...

So glad that you are home and hoping that each day finds you in better health.


Carolyn R. Parsons said...

Audrey..good detective work! Daria..glad you are better day by day! No more adventures now ok, stay home, get well and post!


Sara Diana said...

Its good friends and family that keep you going they do so much and I don't think they realise just how valuable they are.

Glad you are better xxx

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Glad to read that you are feeling better again! Thanks for your encouraging post on my blog today! Was great to hear from you!

Sherry said...

Love and support...what we would do without them? Glad you are feeling better!!!

Denise said...

Good to hear you are home and ok...... bless your heart..... I am praying for you sweetie... sorry that you did not have a pencil and paper..... I am like you.. I think all these wonderful things and then when time to blog.... Nothing! Senior moment......

nollyposh said...


Gail D said...

Darla- I am finally caught up reading all of your blog and its been such a blessing to follow you through your journey through all this. It has definately helped me keep things in perspective as I try and fight here.

Glad that you are out of the hospital and I hope that the reduced dosage starts to gain you some better less chemo brain days.