Saturday, May 9, 2009

Gorgeous Day Here

After my shower yesterday, I thought I better have a closer look at my PICC line and what I noticed is that under the clear bandages, my skin was red and blistering ... not everywhere ... just in some spots. So off to the Daycare at the Cross Cancer Institute I go. The nurse said, yes, I've had a reaction and felt it was to the antiseptic cleaner used to clean the skin. I disagree. I still think I'm reacting to the adhesive bandages.

With the CVC, on the second week of the cycle, I always had a reaction to the bandages ... my body is at it's weakest and just can't take the adhesive.

Long story short, a daily visit to Daycare for dry dressing changes until it heals. They are also using a cortisone cream to help speed up healing.

It's a gorgeous day here today and the neighborhood is buzzing with activity.

9 comments:

Michelle said...

Daria, do you get lots of broken capillaries when you're in your 'down' time of chemo? Mum just discovered she has heaps of them on her legs....

xxxx

Debby said...

How strange! I had the same reaction. Peeling bandages off made my skin blister something awful. I tried to tell them I did not want a bandage for every little poke, but it is such a habit to them. I had the worst time with that. Now that chemo is done, this is no longer an issue.

Daria said...

Michelle,

I can't say I've noticed any more or less so I'd have to say ... no.

Daria

Anonymous said...

Oh man! I sure hope that clears up soon for you.

Yes - it is a gorgeous day here. Maybe, just maybe, we will get.....spring?

Sara Diana said...

Sorry to hear of your reaction, I react to plasters too, its not nice. You are right though, it is a nice day. A little cloudy in North Wales but still fresh and lovely xxxx

Sherry said...

Being aware of the changes in our bodies (whether having chemo or not) is the best way to be. I'm inclined to agree with you about the allergic reaction to the dressings...medical staff know a lot but they don't always "know" what we do. I'm glad you are on to of this!

Alli said...

Daria I always have that reaction to the tape. My arm begins to itch, burn and I notice red spots like blisters. I now have them use only cloth tape..

Hope you had a good day.!!
Alli xxx

Stephanie said...

I found that the longer I had the PICC line in, the worse my skin got - no surprise there! The oncology sister at my unit told me that if I was changing the dressing at home, i could take the old dressings off, have a long, cool shower, then clean the area and put it back on. Which really helped - the exposure to air and water was great, I could feel my skin just sucking them up! (I should say, I wasn't changing the dressing myself, my teenage children came to the hospital with me and learned to flush the line and dress the area.)

Armand said...

I've got a great big welt/scar on my shoulder from adhesive some three months ago. I can't even handle paper tape anymore.

This cancer thing sure sucks :p

Hang in there!!