Saturday, May 15, 2010

My Treatment Plan B

Yesterday I got the word from the research nurse that I will not be going on the study drug TK1258 as hoped. The study group requested a tumor sample. Believe it or not the Cross Cancer Institute had a sample from my original surgery back in 2000. They sent a slice off to Arizona, to be tested. Unfortunately this study is full for my type of breast cancer. Mine is very common.

So, on to plan B. Thursday I will have blood drawn for white blood cell count and see my Onc. Friday I get a PICC line; so no blood thinners the day before and no food two hours before the PICC. Then I’ll wait a bit to make sure I’m still feeling good and then off I go for my first round of Vinorelbine (Navelbine).

So how do I feel about all this? Well, I guess I’m ok with getting the PICC line; it’s just that it constantly reminds me of cancer and treatment. It was just so nice not having any attachments for the past six months.

This all means way more visits to the clinic… I’ve been down this road before, yuk…. And double yuk.

6 comments:

Whidbey Woman said...

It sounds like you are really disappointed. Hang in there, Daria.

Tina said...

Thank you so much for your blog. I've been having a rough day, thinking about my upcoming hair loss and mastectomy (any advice on either??). Although I sense your disappointment, you just keep putting one foot in front of the other, and doing what needs to be done. You reminded me that I've been down this road before (altho different treatment), and I know I can get through it again.
I hope it all goes well for you, you are in my prayers!

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

Daria
I am so sorry that you didn't get the other chemo and need the iv drug. I am hoping for no side effects for you and that this stuff wipes out the liver mets.

Gerry said...

Just do it, Daria, you're tough! You can do it!!!
Praying for you.

RivkA with a capital A said...

Why a PICC line and not a port?

Daria said...

Hi Rivka, hope all is well with you.

Our hospital isn't big on ports ... I'm not sure why. They prefer CVC's (catheters) and PICC lines.

I've had both the CVC and the PICC ... I prefer the PICC line.