Sunday, May 9, 2010

The Big Apple

While I was making my plans to go to Philadelphia for the conference, my sister who lives in the US asked if I’d like to meet her in New York for a couple of days. Well let me tell you … that was music to my ears. I’ve always wanted to visit the Big Apple and here was my big chance.

So Sunday after the conference, I jumped on an Amtrack train from Philly to New York. An hour and twenty minutes later, I arrived at Penn station in New York. The city was bustling with activity. My first order of business was to hail a cab. I looked left and saw a lineup of people waiting for cabs. I looked to the right and saw a young girl step onto the road and lift her right hand way up in the air. Seconds later, a cab pulls up and off she goes. I think to myself, when in Rome … I went to the exact spot she had been when she hailed her cab and I did exactly the same thing … lifted my right arm way up. It worked … I was now on my way to the Marriott Marquis on Times Square.


When I get there, I jump out of the cab, grab my luggage and into the hotel I went. I walk around and tried to find the front entrance to check in, looking a bit lost because I couldn’t find it … a gentleman in a red jacket asked if he could assist me. He directed me to the eighth floor. They contacted my sister and she came down to meet me. When I saw her tears started streaming down my face … not just a few tears … the big ugly cry as Oprah would say. I think It was a buildup of emotions … from the conference, from the fact I made it to New York after having gone through some pretty tough times … I was there … the Big Apple. I was crying so hard a complete stranger came and asked if everything was all right. Tho I was embarrassed I couldn’t stop the tears.

Anyways, I’ll post a few pics and share more over the next few days …

  

4 comments:

Alli said...

Lucky you DARIA

I love New York City, something about the noise and smell really gets to you. Did you get to see Soho Broadway? I was NYU at a confrerence a couple of years ago. I was totally hooked!! Glad you had a good time.... Now no more tears, they are catching!!

Alli xx

Vilma said...

Wow Daria, I 'welled' up just reading your note. I sensed a level of anxiety from you when you were leaving for NY but did not realize...... I hope you had a great time and anxious to read more details about your trip.

Barry said...

Wonderful story. I haven't been to New York in decades. but it sounds like it is still the worlds most exciting City.

Sue in Italia/In the Land Of Cancer said...

You quickly adapted to your new surroundings. I am married to a New Yorker and will go there next month to see my brother-in-law who has stage 4 cancer get married. It will be very emotional. I'm now in Boston, an interesting city but not NYC!