Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Chemo Day

Just got back from chemo and everything went well. My sister was visiting from out of town so I had company for the four hours. It was a nice change and I really appreciated it.

My research nurse came for a visit because we couldn't get a reasonable blood pressure reading yesterday. I have it taken on my thigh because of my mastectomy and PICC line. Blood pressure readings are not recommended on the mastectomy side because it may bring on arm lymphedema. And on my left arm, I have the PICC line. The problem with taking blood pressure on the thigh is that it tends to read higher. We took a few readings and the third one was a charm.

While the research nurse was there, I asked her about my arterial blood gas test that revealed an elevated acidic blood PH. She felt the PH was high because I have fluid on my lungs and the body was compensating by making my blood more acidic. There is nothing that can be done to change that.

Regarding my onoycholysis a.k.a. chemo nails, I decided to try holding on to two water bottles to keep my fingers cooler and slow down circulation. When the chemo nurse came around I asked her about this. Her opinion was that it was too late in my case because the damage to my finger nails had already been done. But if I wanted to do it anyways, she recommended that I use ice packs only on the top of my nails.

That is all for now ...

8 comments:

Sherry said...

I remember being told with any of the taxane drugs that putting your fingers in cold water "might" help prevent the damage to the nails. "Might" is the big "question"...honestly, I think they give us these things to try but really don't know the answers. It's a bit trial and error. Glad that your bp was good today!! :)

Michelle said...

Sounds positive.....hope the chemo days are good to you this time

xxx

Roxanne said...

I'm so glad your sister was able to be there and you got to spend some time with her. Will she be visiting long? Enjoy whatever time you have with her. Helps take your mind off of this darn old "C" for a bit.

Kathy said...

Glad it all went well... :)

Barry said...

If having cancer has taught me one thing, its the complexity of the human body and the surprising way our various parts interact. Absolutely astounding, but frustrating when your trying to deal with one problem without causing collateral damage to other systems.

Hang in there.

Sara Diana said...

my friend who "does nails" told me that once the nail is damaged it is gone, nothing can be done. Sorry.

Hope your chemo side effects arent too bad. Am sending you good vibes from North Wales xxxxx

Holly said...

hi dear....i remember getting my BP taken on my ankle....the things we deal with. i also had the nail issue and it took nearly a full year for them all to look normal again - but they do...don't give up hope...EVER!

Renee said...

Daria I never had trouble with my nails as here they put our finger tips in ice chips.

Now they give them these blue gloves that they wear and booties that are like ice packs.

Don't they have that there?

Hope that you will feel okay on this round Daria.

Love Renee